Papers may cover any aspect of intelligence or intellectual giftedness. Examples would include, but are not limited to, papers from the fields of education, psychology, sociology, neurology, physiology, biochemistry, or psychometrics.
Entries are made into one of two categories according to applicant classification. Senior investigators received their degrees more than five years ago and have since been active in their fields. Junior investigators are:
- Graduate students
- Researchers who have earned their degrees within the past five years
- Those who have previously earned degrees in other fields and entered their present field within the past five years
- Entries must have been first published in or accepted by (not just submitted to) a peer-reviewed journal, or presented at a peer-reviewed professional conference, within the past three calendar years.
- Entries are limited to papers of less than 20,000 words (not including abstract, references, and appendices).
- If originally published in another language, papers must be submitted in English translation.
- Previous winning entries may not be resubmitted by a different author.
- You may submit up to three papers each year on which you are the first author; there is no limit on the number of papers on which you may appear as second or subsequent author. Our checklist will help you apply.
- Authors need not be members of Mensa.
- Reports of original research findings
- Theoretical papers proposing new directions in research, including reviews of research that provide direction and focus to the field
Do not submit
- Ordinary literature reviews that do not provide new direction and focus to the field
- Book or textbook chapters
- Articles written for the lay public but not for the research community
Submitting your research for consideration
- Submit up to three papers on which you are the first author; there is no limit on the number of papers on which you may appear as second or subsequent author. Previous winning entries may not be resubmitted by another author.
- Indicate whether the paper should be entered in the Junior or Senior Investigator category. (In the case of multi-author papers, the category is determined by the status of the first author listed, unless another author is designated at the time of submission as the primary investigator, in which case the latter will also be the Award recipient.)
- Send a PDF copy of each entry, along with the name, address, telephone number, and email address of the primary author, to AFE@MensaFoundation.org. Or, mail your entry to:
Awards for Excellence in Research
Mensa Education & Research Foundation
P.O. Box 535129
Grand Prarie, TX 75053-5129
- Papers must be received by Dec. 31. Any papers received after the deadline will automatically be held over for next year’s competition. If a paper has been accepted by a journal, or is in press, send the manuscript or galley proofs by the deadline, and send the complete reference later.